Ongoing maintenance and follow-up using IMMS during normal operations
Like other IT systems, maintenance should be performed on IMMS and an operational group that takes care of this maintenance and follows up on operations and workflows is both necessary and helpful. Maintaining and following up on approved workflows will make IMMS more efficient and minimize the amount of effort required for operational support and follow-up during everyday use.
The exact type of follow-up will in all cases depend on local conditions and defined workflows.
After startup of IMMS workflows
Immediately after IMMS workflows are started up using the mobile client, the following are the most important control points that can detect user errors stemming from uncertainty about workflows:
- Make sure that transport units are connected to the sorting points from P26.2 or using the mobile client. This is crucial for the central sorter, when using a central sorter, but self service equipment and Library Management System clients are also relevant.
- Keep an eye on the “Trend in the number of pending holds” report, to detect unexpected build up of holds.
- Keep an eye on the “Items in stagnant transport units” report, to detect if the transport units become stagnant during the work flows.
- Keep an eye on the “Items on a holds shelf that are not fulfilling a hold” report.
- Follow up on the configuration of IMMS system parameters for automatic error correction, the automatic actions: Are the time limits and actions correct?
- Keep an eye on holds that do not change status to fulfilled - either from P03 or the Library Management System.
During normal operations the following checklist - adding to the above - can be evaluated and customized:
- Keep an eye on which items and how many items are sent to media hotel. There could be item types and item collections which are not wanted at media hotels, and the amounts can point to problems with the branch configurations. Multiple reports can be utilized, and the overview can be obtained with the Central overview development report, with an interval of days.
- Activate the automatic error correction for the sorting points - Time limit for auto. action when an item is placed on a not directly used location (days). Before doing this, it is recommended to check the situation on the chute locations of the sorting points using P01.
- Gradually activate the automatic error correction with respect to error correction orders. In connection with this it must be internally communicated what these orders are, and how they are to be handled. Keep an eye on the volume and types of error correction orders using the web client P04.
- Activate the automatic filling of item groupings with items from the media hotel, and verify that the relevant system parameters are configured correctly. The filling is activated gradually by branch.
- Keep an eye on the "Production report", with special attention to whether the holds are handled.
- Keep an eye on the error finding reports, which can detect different kinds of problems.
- Automatic life cycle:
- The life cycle rules are continually maintained and refined as part of the automatic life cycle management. This is accomplished by using the life cycle simulator (P38).
- Keep an eye on the "Use of strategies" report, to make sure, that the life cycle rules will apply the desired and expected strategies.
- When the strategy rules are working, weeding rules can be added, which will result in weeding orders. It is recommended to start in a simple way and gradually add and refine the rules, and to ensure communicating internally the meaning and priority of these orders.
- Keep an eye on the "Titles that need replenishment" report, if there are life cycle rules for replenishment.
- Exhibitions - managed displays:
- The exhibition module can be introduced as needed.
- A catalog of exhibition groups can be build and maintained.
- The exhibition groups can be used in branch exhbitions.
Note: The aforementioned list is not exhaustive. Evaluate what makes the most sense based on local conditions and needs, and modify the list as needed.